As Fall is upon us, I wanted to take this opportunity to share with you how we are progressing with Transportation changes. Based upon a continued concern that students are being picked up and arriving too early in the morning, we will be pushing back pick up times by approximately 10 minutes. All but two routes will be pushed back by 10 minutes. The two routes that are unchanged are Route 9 (Spongebob) and Route 10 (Goofy). We cannot push these back as they have two routes to complete in the morning. When we have more drivers, we will adjust these as well.
Please note the new pick up times are being sent home with your student. For further details, refer to our Transportation web page.
Routes are based on the following school schedule:
K - 5: 8:00 AM - 2:25 PM
6 - 12: 8:05 AM - 3:15 PM
K-5: 8:00 AM - 12:35 PM
6-12: 8:00 AM - 1:20 PM
- Bus Drivers have been instructed to have their buses at their first pick up location by 2:15PM to avoid any unnecessary delays
- Some procedural changes and practices at the elementary schools should also help get busses back to the Middle and High School sooner. These include:
- Buses will not return for students who miss the bus. These students will be encouraged to go to the main office for help in making other arrangements.
- Students with alternate arrangements for the day must turn in written notes to the secretary as early in the school day as possible. Buses will not wait for last minute arrangements to be made. Although this is clearly stated in student/parent handbooks, it is being re-emphasized.
- Elementary students who do not have parents present at pick up locations will remain on the bus. The transportation department will attempt to contact families. Students may take the secondary routes home as a second attempt/option. Parents should be at the bus stop 5 minutes prior to the scheduled bus arrival time.
- Changes to the Middle and High School Release:
- Middle School - Two Loading Locations
High School - New afternoon loading location. All students will be release and held in the front of the High School, under the breezeway. Buses will notify Transportation when they departing from the Middle School. This provides for better supervision, eliminates the mass number of students crossing the street and keeps students covered in the case of inclement weather.
- The 7 buses that typically arrive early will load in the front of the Middle School. The remaining buses will load at the side of the Middle School. Students waiting for the later buses will be lined up under the outdoor sheltered play area and will be supervised.
- Inclement weather process - When the dismissal bell rings, all bus riders will report to an assigned classroom. They will be released when Transportation notifies the school that they are arriving. This protocol will be initiated by 3:05PM between the High School, Middle School and Transportation.
Communication regarding these changes in routes and procedures will be:
- Notification on the District’s Transportation Website and each school’s website: Tuesday, October 25, 2016
- Notification will go home with each student on Wednesday, October 26, 2016 and again on Friday, October 28, 2016
- New morning routes will begin on Tuesday, November 1, 2016
I am continually impressed by our community’s support and patience as we work through the various challenges associated with changing school schedules. Parents have been amazing in their willingness and support to help make this work. Drivers continually demonstrate their dedication and teamwork in their effort to bring your student home safely. To that end, please do not hesitate to let me know if you have concerns, kudos, or suggestions.
(503) 630-6871 ext. 2950